Arhar dal is the staple dish for any baniya family… We can have it almost everyday for lunch or dinner as well… My husband’s favorite dal, of course being a baniya..:) We can have it with rice by simply boiling it… but I like it with a nice tadka of onions and tomato… Do try this dal with a good tadka, just something different from regular..
Preparation Time:- 5 mins | Cooking Time:– 20-25 mins | Serves:- 2-3 people
- 1 cup Arhar dal
- 3 cups Water
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 medium Tomato finely chopped
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tea spoon Turmeric powder (Haldi Powder)
- 1/2 tea spoon red chilli powder (Lal Mirch powder)
- 1 tea spoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 tea spoon garam masala
- 1 table spoon ghee
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves (Dhaniya Patta) finely chopped
Wash the dal properly and add it in a pressure cooker. Add the water, salt and turmeric powder to it.
Close the lid and wait for two whistles. Open the pressure cooker once the pressure dies. The dal is boiled properly, mix it well.
For the tadka, heat the ghee in a frying pan, and add the asafoetida & cumin seeds. Allow them to crackle.
Now add the onions and fry them till brownish in color. Now add the garam masala and red chilli powder and mix well.
Add the tomatoes and soften them, If required add some water few drops to mash the tomatoes properly. Fry them until the oil separates out.
Now add this tadka to the boiled dal and mix well, bring the dal to boil.
Garnish with the finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Try this dal with Rice or chapatis/paranthas.
- Try to add a bit ghee before serving, it will change the taste of the dal.
- You can top it with red chilli powder fried ghee as well.
- If you like spicy food then you can top it with the fried dried red chillis.