After putting a lot of thought on what to eat… we both settled on Cabbage… I had a very small cabbage so added some diced potatoes to it also… Love these side dishes, it hardly took 20 mins to cook and is so delicious…:)
Preparation Time:- 10 mins | Cooking Time:– 20 mins | Serves:- 2-3 people
- 1 small sized Cabbage (Patta Gobhi) chopped finely (around 250 gms)
- 1 medium potato chopped as small cubes
- 1 table spoon Mustard oil (Sarson ka tel)
- salt to taste
- 1 tea spoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 tea spoon Turmeric powder (Haldi Powder)
- 1/4 tea spoon red chilli powder (Lal Mirch powder)
- 1 tea spoon Dry mango powder (Amchoor Powder)
- 1 tea spoon Garam Masala
- a pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
Heat the mustard oil in a pan and add Asafoetida & cumin seeds. Allow them to crackle.
Add salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and then add the chopped potatoes and cabbage, mix properly. If not able to mix, don’t worry, as cabbage will reduce in quantity after getting cooked.
Simmer the stove and add 1/2 cup of water, and put on the lid of the pan.
Allow the cabbage to cook for around 5 mins in steam and then mix it properly. Cover the lid again.
After around 10 mins of cooking sprinkle the garam masala & dry mango powder and mix properly.
Allow to cook till the remaining water dries out and mix occasionally. It will take around 20 mins to get cooked. Check if the potatoes are boiled, and if some water is remaining dry it out.
- Garnish using finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Cabbage goes well with hot chapatis and curd.
- Cabbage acts as a side for almost all the gravy dishes.
Sending this recipe to: