Leftover rice at home.. This is the fastest and a very tasty recipe to utilize all the rice.. My mom used to make it every time some rice was left.. I have been eating this since I was a child.. 🙂
Preparation Time:- 5 mins | Cooking Time:– 10 mins | Serves:- 2 people
- 1 cup Leftover cooked Rice
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- 1 tea spoon oil/ghee
- 1/2 tea spoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 tea spoon Red Chilly Powder (Lal Mirch)
- 1/2 tea spoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
Heat the oil in a pan, and add the cumin seeds. Allow them to crackle.
Add the onions and fry them till they turn golden brown.
Now add the salt, haldi and mirch powder and then the cooked rice. Mix well and fry for around 5 minutes.
Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves.
- Try it for lunch or dinner with curd.
Khichdi.. this is the first name that comes to my mind when I am not well… Ohh with this bad stomach ache khichdi can be my only ailment.. But its not only that I have to fall sick to eat Khichdi, I prepare it anytime… I just love it..:)
Preparation Time:- 2 mins | Cooking Time:– 15-20 mins | Serves:- 2 peopleINGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup Rice
- 1 cup Green Moong Dal (Chilka wali moong dal)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tea spoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)
- 1/2 tea spoon Ghee
- 4 1/2 cups water
- A pinch of Asafoetida
Mix the rice and dal and wash properly.
Heat the ghee in a cooker and add asafoetida.
Now add the washed rice and dal and all the water.
Now add the other masalas Turmeric Powder and Salt and mix.
Put on the lid of the cooker and wait for 2 whistles. Then simmer the gas and wait for another whistle.
Once the pressure dies, open the cooker. If you like the Khichdi Pulav style (Thick) then serve hot. Else if you like it watery (thin), boil about 1 cup of water separately and add it to the khichdi. Mix properly and mash it using the spatula and then serve hot.
- There is a famous saying, “Khichdi tere chaar yaar… Dahi, ghee, papad aur aachaar”. Which means Khichdi goes really well with curd, ghee, papad and pickle.
Sending this recipe to Bon Vivant #8 – Rice Recipes
And also to Let’s Cook #19 ~ Legumes / Lentils