Last entire week I was not able to cook as was not at home.. So when we got home this weekend my husband says.. Sheelu cook something nice.. So we went out to buy some veggies, but since it was already late so all I got was the baby brinjals (egg plant).. So decided to stuff em up for a change..:)
Preparation Time:- 20 mins | Cooking Time:– 20 mins | Serves:- 2-3 people
- 6 small baby Egg Plants/Brinjal (Baingan) washed properly
- 3 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 table spoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 table spoon Mustard oil (Sarson ka tel)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tea spoon Turmeric powder (Haldi Powder)
- 1/4 tea spoon red chilli powder (Lal Mirch powder)
- 2 tea spoon Coriander Powder (Dhania powder)
- 1 tea spoon Cumin powder (Jeera powder)
- 1 and 1/2 tea spoon garam masala
- 1 tea spoon Sour mango powder (Amchoor Powder)
- 1 tea spoon Chaat masala
- 1/2 tea spoon Black Salt (Kala Namak)
- 1 table spoon Tamarind pulp (Imli ka ras)
- 2 tea spoon Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1/2 tea spoon Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 table spoon Refined Oil
- 1/4 cup fresh Coriander leaves finely chopped (For Garnish)
- 1 medium Potato chopped as cubes (optional)
Roast the Fennel Seeds and Carom seeds till they turn brownish. Keep it aside.
Heat the mustard oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. Fry them till they turn translucent. Simmer the gas and now add ginger garlic paste and all the masalas, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin powder, garam masala, chaat masala, Sour mango powder, Tamarind pulp, and roasted fennel and carom seeds.
Mix the masalas properly and switch the stove off. The filling is now ready.
Take the washed egg plants and slit them keeping them joined at the stem. Apply the cuts to make four halves (The egg plant should remain joined at the stem).
Now take some filling and using your hands start stuffing the same in the slits made. Press the stuffing nicely so that it does not come out.
Repeat for all the egg plants.
Now heat the refined oil in a non stick pan, and gently place the stuffed egg plants in it. Do not stack the egg plants because they get difficult to cook. If you want some nice flavored potatoes then add the chopped potatoes also to the pan.
Sprinkle the black salt on the egg plants. Now sprinkle very few drops of water to generate steam and put a tight lid on the pan.
Allow the egg plants to cook for around 5 mins and then using tongs rotate all the egg plants slowly, to cook from other side. After around 10 mins of cooking add the filling, if any remaining.
Cook with the lid closed for another 10 mins, till the brinjals and potatoes become soft.
- This goes well with hot chapatis/paranthas and curd.