Torai (Ridge Gourd), I understand not many people like it… I never used to eat it myself, used to tell my mom that Torai is made only for people when they are not feeling well… Then one day one of my Bengali colleagues got Torai in his tiffin, it was a torai fry.. a very new dish to me.. And trust me really delicious too.. So decided to give it a try.. 🙂
Preparation Time:- 10 mins | Cooking Time:– 1/2 hour | Serves:- 2-3 people
- 3 medium sized Ridge Gourd (Torai) finely chopped
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 1 large potato finely chopped
- 1 table spoon Mustard oil (Sarson ka tel)
- salt to taste
- 1 tea spoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 tea spoon Turmeric powder (Haldi Powder)
- 1/4 tea spoon red chilli powder (Lal Mirch powder)
- 1 tea spoon Dry mango powder (Amchoor Powder)
Heat the mustard oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Allow them to crackle.
Add the onions and fry them till they turn transparent. Now add the chopped potatoes and torai. Mix properly.
Add salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and mix properly.
Simmer the stove and close the lid for cooking for about 5 mins.
Now remove the lid and start frying the vegetables by mixing now and then. Continue till the torai and the potatoes becomes soft. (Note: Cook only on sim stove. Also chop the vegetables very small so that they get cooked properly and evenly in steam)
Finally sprinkle the dry mango powder and mix well.
- Tori acts as a healthy side for any dish.
- Garnish with finely chopped fresh green coriander leaves.